Tuesday | 16 April 2024 | 7 Shawaal 1445

Fatwa Answer

Question ID: 1376 Category: Marriage and Divorce
Need to register court divorce and get sharai fatwa for my Khula.

Asalam u Alaikum!

I married in 2008 in Pakistan, after 12 years of abusive marriage i took khula in Florida(US) in 2019. Now someone to said to me that court divorce certificate is not valid and I need to register is in any islamic council and get certificate from there. Please tell me what is the procedure and what islam said about this?

I saw my husband last time in October 2018, after that we dont have any relation, i got my divorce from court last year dated January 14, 2020.

Allah hafiz

Sumera Syed

بسم اللہ الرحمن الرحیم

الجواب وباللہ التوفیق

To answer your question:

1. If the court issued divorce was based on husband’s approval of court procedures and documents, then divorce did actually take effect.

2. On the other hand:

a. If the husband had no knowledge of court proceeding;

b. or had the knowledge but did not give permission for it to proceed;

c. and had not signed the court documents;

Under these circumstances “khula” would not have been enforced according to “Shari’ah” rules, because it was executed unilaterally.

اذا قال لرجل: طلق امرأتی کان توکیلاً و لم یقتصر علی المجلس الخ (ص:۴۰۲)

مَن قال لامرأتہ: انطلقی الی فلان حتی یطلقک فذہبت فطلقھا فلان صح ویصیر فلان وکیلا بالتطلیق و ان لم یعلم بوکالتہ۔ (فتاوی عالم گیری ۱؍۴۰۸)

فقط واللہ اعلم بالصواب

Question ID: 1376 Category: Marriage and Divorce